internet site: http://whitehouseconferenceonaging.gov/blog/post/toward-greater-justice-for-our-nation-s-elders.aspx
THE REAL FACES OF ELDER ABUSE
Nice words by the Elder Justice Forum but in the real world elder abuse and fraud are increasing at an alarming rate. The new estimate by True Link Financial study just released new information that raises the old estimate of elder financial abuse from $2.9 billion to $36.5 billion. The government really has no idea what the real statistics for elder abuse are.
We witnessed in Arizona a senior living facility abuse and defraud 66 people in Arizona. The senior living facility was run by a convicted Medicare Fraud Felon that made his living scamming the government and elderly.
Some of the elder abuse crimes were:
1. withholding essential services (blocking the delivery of medications/failing to repair of air condition units),
2. damaging apartments and suing the former senior residents for the damages,
3. impersonating a doctor to get confidential medical records,
4. Charging extra fees for service dogs, dead residents, and unused parking spaces,
5. misdating leases and altering contracts,
6. slander and rumor spreading,
7. blocking seniors from activities,
8. threats and abusive notices on the senior's apartment door,
9. serving sub-quality food, failing to maintain a clean pool, and failing to remove cockroaches and toxic mold from the senior apartment house, and
10. misuse of the legal system with baseless lawsuits.
All our and other residents’ complaints to the police, attorney general, and HUD went unanswered and were closed without any real investigation. So far 38 of those 66 elder abuse cases have died without any justice, including my 93-year old aunt.
My wife, Carol, received no justice when the apartment management refused two written Reasonable Accommodation Requests by a Disabled Person to allow the continued delivery of her anti-liver rejection medication. The senior apartment house refused to remove the toxic mold from our apartment and refused to give us a mold free apartment. Our Senator John McCain told us to hire a lawyer and could not even help on the illegal $450 fee charged for a licensed service dog.
The police told us they did not have the manpower or interest to worry about elder abuse crimes. We had to hire a retired policeman and private investigator to take the abused seniors statements before they died. All this was written up in THE SUN GROVE RESORT VILLAGE ELDER ABUSE STORY that went to the United States Senate-Special Committee on Aging. They all did nothing.
We speak and write about the elder abuse problem because we do not want others to suffer the way we did. We had that senior living apartment manager put back in jail for parole violations. We got a 43-year prison sentence for the Ponzi Scam felon that created this elder abuse scam that destroyed 23 senior living facilities.
That is the real world and not this typical politician and bureaucrat "Spin" to keep their jobs.
Sun Grove Resort Village - Peoria, Arizona
Former SGRV Manager: Scott Green
Imposter Nurse (was cited): Claudia Marquez
Ponzi Scheme Mastermind - James Koneig